Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saturday Fun!

Karen from Some Days Are Diamonds are real life friends.  We've known each other since we sat in our son's kindergarten orientation together over 19 years ago.  Both of our sons became best friends during their elementary and junior high days.  We don't see each other that often since I moved 8 years ago.  Thanks to blogging we are catching up again and now she joined facebook too.  So it was fun last weekend when she came out my way to check out an antique store in town.  We ate at the Mission Inn for lunch.  It's absolutely a beautiful place to visit and to learn about Riverside's rich history.  It's an old hotel built to look like the missions of California.  At Christmas it is decorated with over a million lights and is something to see.  Enjoy our day together and enjoy a little tour of the Mission Inn.
We went here after lunch.  This is across the street from the Mission Inn.

We actually went here first.  This is the store Karen wanted to check out first.

She found something she liked!
Old lace!
Thought of my mom when I saw these.  She loves hearts!
I love a fleur de lis!
A little bit of Paris!
Vintage clothing...this mannequin scared me as I came around the corner.

Karen wanted this old journal.  It was $140.  Beautiful!
I have a dresser just like this from Dwight's grandmother that was refinished.  It's gorgeous.  Had to check out the price to see what mine might be worth.  Not bad!
This was a beautiful door.  I wish I had a place to put it!
Karen has a friend looking for an old bike to put in her garden.  This was $125.  
Another cute piece.  Our prices out here are so high compared to what we see from you girls in the midwest.  Karen is on a trip right now hoping to find some bargains to share with all of us.
The Mission Inn entry.
This chair was custom made for President Taft when he came to visit.  All of the Presidents since Roosevelt have stayed at the Mission Inn.  President Nixon was married here.  Obama is next??
My turn...Karen liked this chair because it makes you look skinny.  :)
Just a few photos of the courtyard which is so pretty architecturally and with all the flowers.


The patio outside the chapel.


Just some pillows we saw.  I liked both of them.

Cute salt and pepper shakers.
We thought of Rhoda at Southern Hospitality when we saw this...she loves bunnies!
Karen likes soup tourines.

A pretty hat stand.

A postcard from 1909.  
Beautiful perfume bottles.
I thought this was pretty.
I love daisies and tea cups.

Karen is hoping to find one of these this summer on her travels.
Pretty colored glass.
An interesting chair.
Thought my husband and son would get a kick out of this!
Did you know they made pink mixers way back when???
Karen's mom had these same canisters in her kitchen.  A sign that she was there watching over us.  Karen's mom was a sweet lady and we both miss her.  A fun day, lots of catching up...we talked non-stop at lunch and all the browsing through the antique stores brought back childhood memories of days gone by and so much history that we love to explore.  Thanks Karen for a fun day and for lunch.  Next time it's on me!

P.S.  It was hot that day too!! 

10 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oh how fun!!! I never knew ya'll were friends!!! Wonderful!!!

Looks like ya'll shopped and shopped!!! Did you find anything you liked you couldn't live without?

My family visited the Mission Inn once when I was younger...it was beautiful!!!

I hope you have a wonderful day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Cheffie-Mom said...

WOW! How fun!! The photos are wonderful! Celebrating friendships is the best!

Skoots1moM said...

this would have been so much FUN...love all the pictures, so many beautiful things :)
thx 4 sharing

Just a little something from Judy said...

What fun spending the day with a friend. The shops liked like ones I would have loved to visit. The PMS sign was quite funny! You two looked like you could be sisters. Enjoyed all of your pictures from this day.

Anonymous said...

What a fun place to shop and what a neat friendship!

Karen said...

GIRL! It wasn't hot that day - it was STINKIN' HOT!!!!
Why oh why don't antique stores have a/c?
I had such a good time with you! We have to do it more often!!!
I hope I find tons of wonderful things on our trip and have lots to show you when I get back!!! Love the picture of the canisters!!!!!!
BIG HUGS from Wyoming!!

Tonja said...

Wow! Looks like you managed to cram a lot into that one day! Love the Inn and bet it does look great at Christmas! You, indeed, found some great treasures!

Justabeachkat said...

What fun! Maybe you and I can do this next March??

Just wanted to say "HI". Life has been CRAZY busy for me, so my blogging time lately has been rare.

Hugs!
Kat

Joy Junktion said...

What a fun afternoon - That is what I call having a great time with an old friend:)

Plan to see you real soon - maybe we can hit Brass Armadillo or Merchant Square or even downtown Mesa.

LZ Blogger said...

Funny... My wife and I spent our Honeymoon Night in the Bridal Suite of the Mission Inn some 40+ years ago. Thanks for the memory! ~ jb///

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails